Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Mommy...

When I was young we were side by side
Through thick and thin she held my hand
As I grew I changed, I was hardened
But she stayed just the same
I grew into a man and changed into a jerk
But she loved me like only the best mommy can
I drifted along the road and lost my way
But she was still at my side, she still holds my hand
The fleeting world has taken its toll on me
Life’s curveballs have kicked me in the face
Mistakes have created a torrent of shame
Misused trust has caused me to fly from love
Still today the scars of lashings bleed
But she bandages my heart
Her love surmounts all of the pain
She has mended my wounds and cradled me
I hate to think of who I’d be without her
I love to remember all the times we shared
And how she has forced me into growth
Unbeknownst to her, I truly admire her
Her strength is something Sampson couldn’t match
We’ve had our disputes and our tumbles
We’ve bickered and yelled
In hindsight it was pure foolishness
I wish I would have been closer
I wish I could appropriately display my love
I wish I could give her a hug just for a moment
But life has torn us apart as it does so often
And now is my time to grow
So that when I return I can be a man
A man that she can depend on (aside from dad)
A man that can be there when life is hard
A man that can appreciate her love
A son that can respect his mother
A son that can give his mom a gift money can’t buy
A son who can finally show his mommy how much he loves her
(Which is a lot)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious, Ryan!! so sweet. it made me cry. Love and miss you sweetie.
Aunt Dawn

Jennifer D. said...

I am crying too. Mom is reading it now...She is trying not to cry bc we are watching :) We love you!

Caitlin Boyd said...

Ryan you are a very talented writer. I always love reading what you write!

Jeanne said...

Ryan, You gave your mom the best present any mom could ask for...it came from your heart ~love and appreciation...it's all a mom could ask for! Happy Mothers Day Connie..you should be very proud!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother, you are a man to see things so clearly and write about them. I'm praying for you! Love Aunt Carol

craig said...

Ryan isn't it funny that the poem to your mom got all female responses! Your turning into a mush!

haha
it was very good Ryan!
love,
Dad