Friday, February 5, 2010

Goodbye, Hello! An update on February 5th, 2010

Goodbye struck again as another close friend rode away in an airplane. Aaron joined with me a year and a half ago, and has now gone home to start on his college career. He left on the same day that about 20 others left. They left to make room for the new PST, which arrived on Wednesday. They arrived in the same exciting fashion that all PST’s arrive in. They were entered in the world of Ship’s life with a line of screaming crew members showing them which way to go. This is probably the last time I will bear witness to this exciting sight again, as my term ends before the next PST arrives in 6 months. My time has flown by!

My time in Montego Bay Jamaica has honestly been rather forgettable, except the groups of school kids I have witnessed coming to the ship that sometimes number up to 4000 in a day. I have not been involved much there, but the ship presents a program for the kids which has a clearly biblical calling to it. It is called “The Greatest Treasure” and it involves a drama about pirates, which I may still get involved in, some games and some more information about our ship. It must be an awesome field trip for these kids to go on, since I hear them yelling every so often while I try to sleep.

Sleeping has marked my time in Jamaica as well; and not necessarily by choice. We are in a port that harbors both cruise liners and cargo ships. On top of that, I am sure we received a discount on our berthing fees, which puts us on the bottom of the priority list. We have had to move berths almost every other day, and it has proved to be a lot of work. We can’t start until the ship is closed to public (around 10) and we finish up usually around 1 or 2 AM. The Deckies handle all the moving, and it has been a really taxing port on all of us.

On a good note, we met some local people that are a part of YWAM, and they invited us back “anytime” to go and play basketball with them, and on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl. I am very excited about that! I hope they are okay with me being really loud…

2 comments:

Jennifer D. said...

Did you get to watch the super bowl? Can't believe your time is almost up!! Make the most of it!

Fitz said...

Poem boy....