Friday, May 7, 2010

What Could Be Next: Update on May 7, 2010


My sister’s lone comment on my last blog made me realize that I haven’t explained my situation very well and, through writing, maybe I can think it through properly, and logically. I am currently three ports away from departing to West Africa, which is at the end of the month. This means I will cross the Atlantic for the second time, and visit my fourth continent since coming here 20 months ago. We are currently in Antigua, and it is very busy on board. The crowds downstairs remind me a bit of Jamaica, and the island itself is a lot like most Caribbean Islands. I had the chance to play basketball today against a team who beat us really bad, but that is ok. I still had the chance to give out bibles (disguised as sports magazines) to a bunch of people, and we all know God certainly can use that.

I have four months left here before I come back to Michigan and have to choose a path. One path I could pursue would be to try and get a literary agent to get my material out there, after I write it, while working a normal job. Another path I have pondered is that of education in the name of English, Literature, and/or Creative Writing. I don’t really want to go to school, but it may be a necessary evil in the overeducated, competative world of literature. I would really love to attend a University in Edinburgh, Scotland for a year or so though, which I would do joyfully. The last route, and most intriguing, route is that of continued missions. I would like to go to Nepal for a year to do a trekking ministry, and also write about the stories I see with my group. The need is there, and my desire is too, but things need to fall into place. There is still no girl in the equation, which could affect the decision, and I will enjoy my freedom until God places my other half in my life (and hopefully after).

I am excited to come home and start the next adventure, but the friends I have made will be dearly missed. The next path is a slightly less blurred one than it was 20 months ago, and I thank God for that, so now I have to take the right steps, and most importantly, keep growing. Thanks to all of you who support me in this mission; I honestly don’t know where I’d be if I had not come here. I may be in some career I don’t want to be in, or jail, or stuck in the party routine of debauchery; I don’t know, but thanks for helping enable me to see God in His glory, and to come near to him in my time of deepest need.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

or study in Perth, Australia for a year?

Will be praying for direction though mate.

And jealous about your next cross- atlantic journey... you guys are going to have a blast...well unless its rough...

Fitz

Anonymous said...

overeducated? prideful? quite a slap in the face to the millions of people who value the education that billions don't have access to. and why would you be so joyful to go to school in Scotland if it's so evil? might want to think that one through...

Ryan Joseph Coon said...

Sorry, that wasn't the message I wanted to portray. I just don't like school very much, and in America, if you don't have a degree yo ucan't do anything, that's why millions of people have degrees they can't or don't use, because they feel like they need something. I changed the diction stranger, forgive me for that.

Do they speak English in Australia Fitz?

Anonymous said...

Ryan! I'm so excited for you! You've got so many great options! And school's not SO bad if you have a sweet end in sight (or at least that's what I keep telling myself!).
Send me some smoke signals while you're in Africa. I leave next month!
~Kathryn Wickman~

Dave W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave W said...

Ryan, stick with missions bro, you won't regret it. What a wonderful experience you have had thus far. Thanks for letting God use you and for stepping out into the unknown. May your life continue to be filled with the adventurous pursuit of Jesus.-Dave W.

p.s. Ever looked into New Tribes Missions as a tribal church planter? They offer a four-year education in missions. www.ntm.org

Jayson said...

We are proud of you and love you!
Jayson, Emily, and Brady

Jennifer D. said...

See, yours eyes have been opened and you have great options for your future. More will probably come up too and you will have important decisions to make...See where God wants you next! I do agree that some degrees are useless, but if its your passion, then learning and growing is a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Come home and go to SC4 with your mommy. We can both go together.
~Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,

Do where god leads you. Maybe its school. Maybe its another mission. He has a plan we all know it, just wondering and anticipating where its gunna take us, and how he goes about it is the interesting part.

Love ya

Matt and KEnisha

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
Rest in God's peace. He'l show you what to do. Trust Him.

I kind of, well,totally agree with Dave Wspoon. He is speaking from experience. If I may speak a bit freely (sorry Dave) I think he has some regret that he is not still in the Phillipines. I might be wrong.

It has always been my dream to serve in missions, esp. Mexico. I am still working on that. But again, trust God, and look to your heart's desires. When you follow Him, the two are usually in agreement.

Joey Linert