Wednesday, July 21, 2010


Words cannot describe what was running through my heart at a school in a lonely town in Takoradi, Ghana a few hours ago. I was on a team of around 8 that were to go to a school for special needs children. I won’t lie, I have been struggling mightily as of late with a lot of issues, mainly of my own heart, and I wasn’t really ready to go to this special education school, but it was certainly ready for us. When we pulled in to the compound, one of the kids was running with the bus screaming in excitement. As we walked out a few of the brave souls came to shake our hands and try to get the football (soccer ball) we had. The sheer delight of seeing new faces that were coming for them was exhilarating, and it broke my heart then as it does as I recollect our story. I held back the tears of sorrow and pity because I wanted them to know that I felt no better than them.

So we did our program for the kids, and they ate it up. I honestly don’t know how well they understood the symbolism of the play, or the literal lyrics of the songs we sang, or if they’ll ever be able to read the booklet we handed out, but I can truly say that they loved us. Maybe it was because of how we made them feel, or maybe it is because the world is innocent to their eyes, but I’ll get to the philosophic part later. After the program, we just spent time with these kids, these people. They were severely special needs, and I usually don’t know how to act around them, until I realized a beautiful truth about their simplicity: they love whether or not you are cool, regardless of what you look like, and in spite of how selfish you can be. So I spent my time hugging them (my way of showing love), playing soccer, and dancing with the kids. As we started to leave, the tears of shame and pity again welled up in my heart as it was broken again, but not just because they have been dealt an unfair hand in life, but because these people that are made fun of and ridiculed have so much more love in their heart than I can dream of, especially lately.

I don’t think I could ever explain to them that I do care for them, not because I have to, but because they are so beautiful. I have never seen real love so genuine and quick, yet real. It is a shame that people prey on their mental inadequacy and miss out on the lesson to be learned from these people. They don’t know a thing about you, but if you make yourself available, many will love you. Love is tossed around in a lot of shallow and humiliating ways today, but I feel like these people, who survive on mere instinct, know what it actually is. They don’t have to understand the why of things as many of us do, they don’t have to know motivation; no, they just need to know you are there. Indeed, the discarded people of this world understand a piece of the meaning of joy, and the basic fundamental that our salvation has been built on. These lovely people taught me more by existing than they ever could have if they could quote any book. Love is so simple, yet so hard for us to do, but not for them.

3 comments:

aki said...

hey ryan...

i am so glad you didn't leave the ship before your end of commitment; and i am so glad you have experienced this time and love.

i think we all hold prejudice, discrimination, and oppression in our hearts. it's out sinful human nature to judge, and for that reason your right... its so inspiring to see young children and youth that are free from that. it challenges us all to think through our values... its sad though that it takes realisation like hanging out with learning or mentally disabled children to work that out... its so bad we place people with these life long issues that are out of their control as secondary. because of realisation at who these kids are too human and worthy of love that we respond to them... its horrendous. shouldn't we be selfless with out love and relationships with everyone regardsless as to what makes up their percieved identity? oh dear im rambling lol

it was so cool to read how much it impacted you... maybe you should forget english at uni and do something like me where you can be apart of people's lives like that all time haha.

aki

Ninja Tim said...

I pretty much, if not exactly, know how you feel man. When I had my practicum at school with the autistic kids, I couldn't help but change my major. Glad you got to experience the same thing. Maybe you can work with kids like that for a career?!

You're the man.

Also, I'm disappointed in the lack of random facial hair from you in the last few months. Get on that.

Can't wait to see you brother!

Jennifer D. said...

Agree with Tim! These kids touch and change your lives forever! I thought the same thing, again Tim, maybe a major for you? I love the pictures of you with the little boy :) super cute!!