Monday, October 6, 2008

The Watcher

I haven’t been here long, but I already walk with a sense of belonging in my step. This place would make most people feel like they belong. The only problem I have really encountered is the division of acceptance. Some people here are cool with dancing and playing, while some aren’t. This wouldn’t be a big deal, but it is pretty frustrating on some of us. One would think that if two parties with the same goal but different standards would be able to meet somewhere in the middle, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. It seems that the older people with the traditional background get what they want, and the younger crowd with more energy and excitement get brushed aside. I do understand that this is a Christian ship, therefore we have to display Christ in our actions in this community and wherever we may venture, but sometimes we need to have fun!
The basic problem is that there was a “party” for a couple of girls’ birthday Monday night, and all we did was play music, dance (innocently), and talk. I thought it was an awesome bonding experience for all of us there. A lot of people were comfortable enough to dance including me, which says a lot if you know me. I felt like the whole night was innocent except a few songs. That (the songs) could change easily enough with a change of laptop or CD. Other than that we didn’t do much wrong that I saw, yet I heard that we can’t have these anymore. We were pretty far from any cabins, so that shouldn’t have been a problem. I heard that some people said we weren’t good examples to the community. How is that? Can us Christians ever be loud and have fun? What about some dancing ministries; are those wrong too? I have always struggled with conservative people who know they are right. I have always been one to try and meet in the middle, why can’t we strive for that?
Maybe I am being rash, maybe this whole thing is a rumor, but still. Apart from this problem, I love it here! I really am starting to settle in, and people know me. I’m kind of a big deal here. Not really, but the people here do love, some are just really uptight. I should have expected that. I am really comfortable here now. Work is starting next week for real! No more training! YES! Actually this past week doesn’t feel a whole lot like training. Most of the people in my department are pretty cool. Both of my bosses are great guys, who I have a lot in common with. I know I’m where I need to be. I can’t say how relieving that is, again. One can never receive enough confirmation. Thank you all so much for your prayers, without them I would not be here.
One thing I am scared about is America. I have heard about the deep financial problems that have come and even could come to pass, and I worry. I worry if the America I come back to won’t be the same. I worry that there won’t exist even, or if it will be divided. I worry about who will lead the country. Most of all I worry about the people. I worry that the population runs from god to chase idols. I feel like America may become like Sodom. The delusion of morality in my country frightens me. How can we exist with no purpose other than selfish gain? Many have tried this and failed in the long run. Please pray to put America back in God’s hands; I know I am.
I have finished reading the New Testament a week ago or something, and started back from the begging. Genesis is so hard to read because it sounds so odd. People marry cousins, have sex without marriage, and kill for God. It’s hard to imagine the times and how the Godly people acted. Like when men’s wives’ give the maidservant so they can have a kid, how is that Godly? People are strongly warned against sexual immorality, so why the heck do these guys get to sleep with all these girls, and are blessed beyond reason? Also, why is wealth so stressed in this book? I have been reading pretty often and am on the 32nd chapter. I get a little confused, but then I try to remember that I have no clue about the culture of the time, and that we are not under that covenant. We are under a new much better covenant. Praise God for that!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dance on brother.

craig said...

I like to hear about your confidence growing! I would have loved to see my baby dancing! Pray for the uptight group of old geezers! Pray for them to have their hearts softened and let loose and enjoy being alive in Christ! Keep the music clean, maybe even dance to Christian music, there are all kinds of fun fast Christian songs.
It is so cool that you like your job and you have formed a bond with the bosses! Work hard for Jesus, play hard for Jesus!
No one knows where our country is going! Just keep praying like you are my son!
I love you and miss you so much. Keep smiling!! I am smiling right now picturing you dancing!
Love you tons baby boy,
Mommy

Marla said...

Ryan, You are definitely "blooming where you were planted!" I had no doubts that you would! Keep dancing and enjoying where God has planted you.

Marla

Unknown said...

Hey Ryan: thanks for posting an update and I enjoyed reading all about what's going on.

Perhaps I could give a suggested insight into the stuff on Genesis: I don't think Abraham and Sarah are commended for handing Hagar over to Abraham. That was a cruel thing to do to another human being. Plus it was a lack of faith in God's promises - it was Sarah taking things into her own hands and Abraham just going along with it.

We sort of are under that covenant. This is Abraham not Moses. God's covenant with Abraham includes blessing to the whole world. The New Covenant fulfills but does not cancel the Abrahamic covenant.

Hey sorry to be all preachy, but that's what i get paid for.

Hang in there and enjoy the experience.

Peter

Jennifer D. said...

That Old testment stuff is hard to relate to because we aren't even close to the same culture and development. They even seemed to talk strange....it was on the other side of the world, from the US. Yeah the money and financial strain here is crazy right now. People losing their houses, their cars, etc. It is a little scary. I keep thinking that we will end up like the Depression in 1929 (I think). This country is so confused. We have a leader that would take us even further from the cross, which scares me even more. I worry for my son, as my years are a lot less than his. What kind of country will he grow up in? I think you may come back to a different place.

Unknown said...

I forgot the tell you the thing I set out to comment on in the first place. Sorry. The reason Abe and his sinful sons were all blessed is ... sovereign, free grace. The same reason you and I are blessed with every spiritual blessing.

GRACE! That's the key. God blesses the undeserving.

craig said...

I love Grace Ryan!
that undeserved, unearned, cross centered love poured out in our lives. THAT my son is the only real economy in this world and the next. So in Christ we are free from too much concern of what happens in this fallen world, knowing that he has us in his grip is enough.
I love you and am proud of you.

Dad
Ps the package was sent today!