Thursday, October 15, 2009

Overview of Trinidad: Update for November 16, 2009


When we first came to Trinidad, I didn’t know how to feel about it. It was a big city that stank like the dickens, and was apparently very dangerous. Well, today we rolled out of Port of Spain, Trinidad, and onto the next adventure. As we sailed away from the Industrial capital of the Caribbean, I still had the same mixed feelings. It was a great opportunity to grow in ministry, and provided many opportunities to use what we’ve been practicing for many months (I’ve probably played more basketball here than I ever have in a month). Also, swing is still changing in my new leadership, and I’m not too sure which direction it is taking, but it certainly is getting used in a number of events. Even with the absence of my partner, I still danced in two events, and the other couples performed much more than I did.
I also had a chance to make some local friends, one being at the YTC juvenile center, and one being a local volunteer on the ship. I first met him when I was sent to his church as a leader of a church team. We shared the “Mission Hats” presentation, and I gave a testimony, while one more person did the message. After, they fed us and we got to meet them. His name is Adrian, and he played drums. He helped in the book hold for two or three weeks while we were in port. He also took Dan (Wales) and I out to get groceries for our upcoming break (on the beaches of Barbados).
One other cool thing that happened was that I learned a new sport; Cricket. First of all; yes it is as boring as it sounds. What happens is that a team consists of 11 people, who all get the chance to bat. After all eleven go, the next team is up. This can take hours, and batters can take their sweet time, due to no “foul ball” boundaries, and the fact that they don’t have to run if they feel they won’t make it to the next wicket (something like a base in baseball). The game was fun, when I had a hand in doing something, but the standby phases were killer, and long. Also, I did horrible batting, so I was out for about 5 minutes, while the rest of the team lasted a good 30 minutes each. I bowled (pitched) well, and got three wickets (outs). I guess it was good, but I still don’t quite get it.
So as we sailed away from Trinidad, I thought of the fond memories and friends I made, and was glad we visited. Then the stench of the air met my nose again, and I couldn’t wait to leave.

1 comment:

Jennifer D. said...

Glad the stink is gone! lol. You are a bloody disgrace to america, playing cricket ;) Sorry. My sense of humor might not be funny to all. Can't wait to see pics!! STILL WAITING to see the tropical paradise.