Friday, February 20, 2009

The Long Awaited News-Weekly Update 20.2.09

My home was shifting under my feet; or was it the land that was moving? No, for today was the day the many people that have joined to help here on the Logos Hope have worked so long and hard for: today we sailed! As we headed out of the harbor that... well harbored us for so long about 30 or more people waved and smiled and some even cried. The many lives we’ve affected in the past 7 months waved goodbye to an eager crew. Cheers echoed off of the surrounding buildings as the mooring lines were loosened, and snowballs were thrown between crew and pedestrian. This was really a joyous occasion and didn’t fail to disappoint as we are still sailing to Sweden as I write this.

As for me, it was a pretty hectic day. I had watch from 4-8 in the morning, and then enjoyed a quick breakfast to try and catch some sleep. I slept from about 8:30 until 2, when we were called together so that we could officially close the ship to people. We all were accounted for, and then were given until 3 o’clock to check into the mooring stations (only deck crew). I went and cleaned out my room in the aftermath of yet another roommate leaving, then search frantically for the proper clothes for mooring stations. I eventually found it, but I ended up missing pulling in all but two of the lines. I was assigned to help with the last of the lines though, and then waited on the foredeck to sail.

As we took off, the world seemed that it was the one moving and not us. It was just so strange that my immobile home of the past 5 months was moving! Eventually I got used to it though and enjoyed every minute regardless. The freezing weather wasn’t anything that made it more joyous, but it also didn’t take away anything from the experience. For the next half hour or so I watched the ship sail out onto the ocean and leave the city of Koge behind. Maybe one day, I’ll miss it, but for now I am so excited to be out of Koge.

After that I was back on watch at around 4:30 when the pilot left. I walked up into the bridge and all of the officers were on it chatting away about things beyond my understanding. I was explained what was around me and what I needed to look out for, then just watched the sea as we floated. Eventually I was able to drive the ship for about an hour and a half, which is a lot harder than I would have given it credit for. It’s definitely not like steering a Saturn!
Now I sit here at 3:30 in the morning restless and waiting for my watch to start in a half hour. I can’t wait until the sun rise…

4 comments:

Ninja Tim said...

Cause God knows that the Coon family has zero experience driving non-Saturn automobiles. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Wow to steer a ship that size at your age Ryan, how cool
Ed

craig said...

man with your record of smashing every car of mine that you ever drove, I know that you are increasing the richness of everyones prayer life that is on board! what a blessing that is!

hahaha
love you,
yo daddy

Jennifer D. said...

I echo dad, maybe you should warn the other passengers when you are taking control of the wheel. LOL! Also unlike a Coon to not be able to find clothes...I am sure they were all over the place. Why have you had "yet another roommate leaving"? Curious...So cool that you are on the move!! I am tracking it on myspace :)