Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Land of Eternal Rain

Every day when I wake up and go outside it is raining. Although to most this may put them in a sort of depressed mood, but not anybody here. Maybe because the rain here is different, for it is not impairing rain, but a soft tender rain. It’s almost a pleasant rain. The scenery here (I am currently in the Netherlands) is absolutely beautiful, it takes my breath away. We are in a little medieval hotel in the middle of a farming community with all sorts of animals and their respective pastures all around us. There are people riding bikes all over the place and small cars whizzing around the brick-layed roads. Our hotel is right next to a decent sized river with a cow pasture on the other side. No matter how hard the rain was, it could never steal God’s handmade beauty I see all around me. But it’s not only here; for honestly the drive here reminded me of Ohio with flat land and ever changing landscape of city and farmland. It even makes me appreciate what we have to look at in the USA, Michigan is a beautiful place, as is most of the US.
What can match the beauty of this place is the beauty of the people I am surrounded by constantly. These are good people. It is hard to find a place where people genuinely care about you, but I found a place where EVERYBODY cares about you. Genuine love is a truly gorgeous thing. Not to mention the beauty of the foreign women! Just kidding. I really know this is where I am called to be, the next part is getting over my past and moving forward into a new life that has been set before me. I do miss all of those I left behind sorely, yet I am filled with hope. I know I will see all you guys again soon. I am not sorry for leaving though, as I found a temporary home in this place. Just know I think of you all the time, and you are all in my prayers, and keep me in yours.

5 comments:

craig said...

Ryan,
It so good to hear that you are fitting in and feeling at peace. It sounds like you are making friends and feeling comfortable in your new surroundings, PRAISE GOD! I miss you too!!! I love you!!
Mommy

Tommy D said...

Ryan,
Thanks for your prayers we need them! And, you are definitely in ours. Your love for God and His Creation is inspiring. What about the birds?
Tom

Jennifer D. said...

Sounds perfect!! God is taking you an an amazing adventure, enjoy every second. Don't be afraid to open up and make new friends. But stay away from those foreign women!! lol

craig said...

Ryan,
your so sentimental, I wonder where you get it???
Jim Elliot, another missionary for Jesus, one time said "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt of every situation you believe to be the will of God."
And it sounds like you are beginning to do that there, that is awesome! We are praying for you all the time.
Jim Elliot also said: (this one he is more known for) "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Keep living for the one thing that you will never lose!

love,
Dad

kris said...

Hi Ryan,
You sound so happy and at peace. I bet you can't wait to get to the nuts and bolts of why you are there. I am so envious that you can travel to so many different places, a life long dream of mine. I am so proud of you and missing you much. I pray for you daily.
Love,
Aunt Kris