Monday, August 25, 2008

A Stroll In Holland

Today I got to see a little bit of the nation that is the Netherlands. I went for a nice quiet 2 hour ride to a town near here called “Ommen”. The ride was another picturesque European scene from a movie. As I road on the bike path (which are literally everywhere) I passed fields with cows and corn, then forests into more fields. The cow pastures here are significantly smaller than American ones. It seems our cows are incredibly spoiled! That would be if only if the grass was not as green and perfect as I have seen in my few years of life; good ol’ American spray-paint can’t match this honesty. Also, along the way I realized that I don’t think the Dutch people like Americans very much. I got stared down with every passing citizen. I guess one would expect the same treatment in a big American city such as New York or Los Angeles, but I never saw it coming from this little homely Dutch town. Although these people seem to not take kindly to me, I did notice the importance of family that overshadows America’s pathetic attempt at it (not to offend). In this Western European culture work is a lot less important than family. I learned in German class that the typical German work week is only 32-35 hours long, and is considered full time. This leaves plenty of room for family, and they do bond a lot through “holiday”. Ask any of these people where they’ve been and you will hear a long list followed by “that’s usually on holiday” or something like that. These people get it. Family trumps money every time, no excuse. Please, if you don’t already let your family know how important they are, do so soon because we all know the fathers love; now display it to those closest to you. And to my family, you all know how you have impacted me and how much I love you guys.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan, Thank you for the word pictures you have been painting for us of your travels. I've found your notes to be very awe inspiring. I didn't know descriptive writing was one of your gifts! You are missed greatly at church and you are a main topic of discussion and prayer by many. You're parents are struggling through the empty nest syndrome thing as best as they can! Don't forget to pray for them. God bless,
Laurie Dennis

craig said...

Ryan,
Maybe they looked at you funny because you were ridding a kiddie bike with training wheels! I knew i should have taught you to ride a big boys bike before you went off around the world!
Learn the lesson well about family, i am afraid i wasn't the best example of it for you to follow.

dad

Unknown said...

Hey Ryan: As a "European", I would guess that you are mistaking their reserved nature for disapproval. So hang in there, the Dutch are great people.

I could not agree more with what you said about work vs. family. Good words there.

I'm looking forward to your news over the coming months.

Peter

dclundblad said...

Hi Ryan,

Thanks so much for the update! I look daily for your comments. I should have given you an extra pair of wooden shoes so you could have blended in with the other dutch men! I think I told you that I spent a year in Brussels, Belgium when I was 18 yers old. It won't be long before you will stop being a "foreigner" and/or "tourist" and blend in with all those that God is calling you to serve. I actually spent several months living with a Dutch pastor and his family in Brussels. I can attest to your insights about the importance of family in the European culture.

Keep the journaling coming. Praying for you daily,

Dan

Jennifer D. said...

They are probably confused...who sent a giant into their town. lol. The picture of you on a tricycle, that dad painted, is still making me laugh. I agree with Laurie. I am amazed by your writing. I had no idea. Love you and we are thinking and praying for you everyday. Not many people have the courage to follow where God leads, bro. you are one in a million!! PS_ I would rather be with my family than work, any day!! Maybe I belong out there too. lol

Mark said...

I know how you feel Ryan. In traveling in Europe for work, I encountered much the same stares and some folks seeming to not like Americans. I also found people facinated and wanting to talk with me. It was a very humbling experience, to be somewhere unfamiliar. I pray for you Ryan and your expierences. My God use you boldly.... I enjoy the writings too.

Uncle Mark

kris said...

Ryan,
You are an amazing young man. I am still laughing at Jen's comment about the giant. What i don't get is do you really look that different? I am clearly naive and don't get out much. It sounds like you are making the most of your time. I pray for you and am so proud of you. The kiddie bike is pretty funny too. I think your dad is being too hard on himself, he was a wonderful example to you, I think that is part of the reason you are there because of the choices your parents have made and you saw what they did to help others. I love you. God Bless
Aunt kris

craig said...

Ryan,
I'm glad you got to see a little bit of The Netherlands. I can't understand either, why people noticed you as an American? Do you dress different? They are basically the same color as you, so what makes you look American? Well, I love you even though you are from Kimball- Tucky! It was good to talk to you on land line and hear your voice! I miss my baby!!!! love ya! Mommy