Sunday, November 9, 2008

Time Marches On


The most wonderful time of the year approaches yet again, and excitement build all around the world in anticipation for this event. Christmas really is a wonderful time, but it is also a very hard time for those who have lost much. I have always heard that the holidays were one of the biggest times for suicide, but I never really understood why. I think I have a small grasp on this concept now with the massive changes in my life. Thanksgiving is always a big day in my life, and I’m scared that here it won’t be very special. I don’t think football will happen on it, or anything like back home. I will probably think about the time I spend with my family and my baby nephew (who I miss like crazy) and the time I spend with friends as they are all home from college. Then in comes the Christmas season, and the closeness of family and friends along with it. I already feel sad when I think of not being able to be with my family. What makes it worse is that my brother head out to a new life in a few days, and my parents will be wrecked. I fear for them, and pray for their comfort a lot. One last thing I already miss from this season is snow! I have heard that it doesn’t snow too often here, and it is hard to imagine a Christmas without snow!

Christmas on the ship will still be magical and great, but it could never compare to the experiences I have had back home. On the ship there will be a lot of cheer and decorations for the season. One thing we are doing is a display for us and the community about Christmas around the globe. People will build displays of what Christmas is like in their home. We will open these displays to the public to come have a look at all the different traditions around the word. We will still be in Denmark for this, and a new schedule is put up in our prayers. We plan on leaving sometimes in January and to maybe stay around in Europe for a couple of weeks, after that we head to the UK for a tour around thanking some supporters and raising ship familiarity, while ministering to the millions of lost souls in the UK. After that we want to look east toward the Caribbean, but God would really have to do some miracles for that to be possible. The leadership here really believes it can happen as do I, but some are skeptical. It has been in God’s hands and will continue to be.

I’ll finish with a little wisdom from Dr. Patch Adams; look past the problem to the solution. I need to focus on my new life here and my new life in Christ more than I need to focus on my past and all the good memories. Of course, this is easier said than done!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Lets find some online football game on the PC, like Madden, that lets you play online. Then we can play against each other on Thanksgiving at some point like a cyber turkey bowl. Solid?

craig said...

Hi Ry! We will miss you desperately at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and every day in between! We will rest in peace from our heavenly father knowing that you are doing His will and you are right where you need to be! It will be tough for you and we will be praying for you to find comfort, peace and joy through this holiday season! You are where God wants you to be so be merry little baby boy! Growing up is hard for you and I! Change is hard for you and I! But we can do it and make it through! I am so proud of you for what you are doing, I know it will be difficult at times.I will always see your handsome smile, hear your laugh, and feel your great big bear hug! Keep on smiling and doing God's work with joy in your heart Ry-baby! I love you ans miss you so much! Mommy

Jennifer D. said...

I think as the holidays near the realization that both brothers are gone is starting to hit more heartstrings. I am trying not to cry, my kids are due back any minute...We miss you, but maybe the materialistic Christmas you are so used to will be replaced with a more God-honoring, Christ-centered one. We love you. And Tim, what a great idea to keep Ry from being homesick :)