Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Sleep with Demons and Dream of Angels

I must rebel against my self
This damned being that lives with me
I sleep next to a monster
I kiss the mouth of a demon
At times I do fight with it
And tell it to leave just to let it back in
But I love the feeling of having it around
I can escape and I see that now
Yet my feet won’t move forward
I beat it into submission one day
Then nurse its bloody face the next
A fist followed by a kiss
Where lies the victory for me?
It lies in my true love
I don’t often see her, but I often feel her
She comes and graces my eyes
At times, she is all I think about
Her beauty is unmatched
Yet I sleep with this ugly whore
She seems so pretty when I draw near
But when I step back I see her ugliness
It just reminds me of your beauty
If only I was strong
For I am a juggler in a kings world
Only when I am around you
I feel so ashamed yet so in awe
You couldn’t be more perfect

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing!! I love it, you really are an amazing writer. You need to give yourself more credit than what you do, believe in yourself, because i believe in you.
<3 Michelle

Jennifer D. said...

I like the lack of rhyming, makes it less predictable. This could be interpreted a couple different ways :)

craig said...

Ryan,
I must say that one is perfect, and exactly how life is. "A fist followed by a kiss." Made me laugh out loud in the library. Usually most people don't get this part of life until they have lived a little more than you have, so for that I am thankful.

The best part is that your lover hangs onto you....

I love you,
Dad