Friday, January 2, 2009

Weekly Update for January 2, 2009




It is so strange to type 2009 in the date for this, but that’s how time goes. New Years Eve was a blast here on board. It opened with a semi-formal dinner (which means the girls dressed up) where we had Hamburgers and French fries and drank Egg Log (somebody made a spelling mistake on the sticker). After dinner was a service to reflect on our past year and to ask for blessings on our next year. The service had music and a few people spoke. After the Service was a time for fellowship with even more food and games if one wanted to play, but I just sat around and talked with people. At 11:45 most people went up to Deck 9 (the top of the ship) to count down to the New Year. At midnight, Koge went crazy, shooting off fireworks from every angle we could see. It was one of the most impressive things I have seen in my day, and will last in my memory. I don’t think I have ever seen a whole sky covered in fireworks, and maybe never will again.
After the Fireworks was a Scottish dancing time. We were taught all these funny dances, and a lot of them were fun. We twirled and spun, and some people even got aggressive. After that dance there was a party upstairs with more dancing. This time it was techno mixed in with some salsa. I didn’t dance a whole lot here, but I did make myself look like an idiot, which is usually fun. I finally hit my pillow around 3:30 or 4 am.
New Years day was uneventful for me as I slept in until 2 or 3. All that happened that is notable is a big LAN “party” where a bunch of people got together and played Battlefield 1942 with each other. There were around 20 of us playing together, and it was pretty fun.
Next week I am on Fire Rounds, which takes place from 11-7 during the time when everyone is sleeping. This means I will miss a lot of things that could happen, but oh well. Have a great start to 2009!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! You should never shave again. Emily said hello we miss you and hope 2009 is awesome.

Jayson

craig said...

wow that beard was WAY worse that what i thought it would be. too bad you cant figure out a way to get paid for producing hair because you are a hair producing factory!!!
Wow thanks for sharing and for being such a good posterboy for Kimball Michigan!

love you,
Dad

Gwyn said...

wow. all i can say is wow. you look(ed) like a mountain man. shaving was a good call.... =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,

You look like a true seaman - a pirate - Arrr.

Thanks for all the updates. Glad you survived your first Christmas and new years away from home. That's a tough thing to do. I'm now on #27 away from Scotland. Glad you got to experience some true dance :)

Still praying for you.

Peter

Kyle Nolan said...

so how many animals did you find when you finally hacked it all off?

any spare change?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! the face hair is nothing compared to the body hair LOL I thought all you youngins evolved hairlessness through the gene pool of darwinism these days. Can you imagine shaving your chest and belly, not to mention the back...razor on a stick giving yourself a neck ache trying to look in the mirror.

Ryan Joseph Coon said...

i found a family of possums. And 20 dollars. And a french fry. And actually my back is still bare for now.

Ninja Tim said...

I'm putting one of the pictures on Facebook. I feel like a tidal wave of comments is coming.

Ryan Joseph Coon said...

aight den

Jennifer D. said...

wow. U <3 NRA...lol. Look like a buddy of Nugent!! Looks much nicer shaved off!! I am sure everyone on board was blown away by your cute baby face hiding under the blankets of pubes!

Marnus said...

Dude, you look seriously scary. Like one of those guys who starts their own revolution or something. haha

Im really glad your on our side - that is God's side. Your doing an awesome job on the ship, God bless you inside and out.

Blessings

Kyle Nolan said...

lol, your sister called your beard "pubes"

ha.

did you keep the possum? maybe feed him a french fry or something?

Ryan Joseph Coon said...

his name is pubert. he is my bff.